Health and Mental Health
Our region could be a lot healthier - to tackle this governments must work with the community, listen to service providers and patients, and fund the services we need
To view my commitments to this area, please click here
- Toured aged care and indigenous health services, showcasing best-practice in Indi, with Minister for Aged Care and Indigenous Health the Hon Ken Wyatt MP.
- Called on the Federal Government to explain an apparent $10 million funding commitment for Wangaratta Hospital before the 2013 Federal election that was not forthcoming.
Visited Cooinda Village in Benalla to help celebrate the opening of the new Alice Goulding Wing.
Attended a Roundtable Lunch with the Assistant Minister for Health and Aged Care, the Hon Ken Wyatt AM MP to discuss issues around the delivery of aged care in rural areas, Advance Care Planning and Aboriginal Health.Chaired Beyond Blue forum in Wangaratta, bringing community together to learn more about mental issues, from speakers including National Mental Health Commission member Nicole Gibson and Albury Wodonga headspace manager Bek Nash-Webster
Won Government commitment to announce Federal Government direction of mental health this year, from Minister for Health, Sussan Ley
- In Question Time, asked Minister for Health and Aged Care, Sussan Ley, to commit to funding review for Multi-Purpose Services
Called on Government to change funding model for Multi-Purpose Services to allow health services to continue delivering a high level of health services for local communities
- Facilitated a forum of small health providers in Indi to enable a co-operative approach to communicating with government and lobbying for resources
- Established a Youth Mental Health Reference Group to obtain ongoing advice and information on the service and support needs for young people across Indi
- Alerted the Government to the urgent need for Victorian medical student interns studying at the University of NSW clinical school in Albury to access employment placement opportunities
- Responded to the National Health Amendment (Pharmaceutical Benefits) Bill 2014 in Parliament by asking the Government to consider its impact on pharmacies in regional areas
Asked the Government to keep existing borders for the Albury-Wodonga Primary Health Network rather than splitting responsibilities at the border
- Sought advice from a range of stakeholders in the health system, including senior management of Albury-Wodonga Health and Northeast Health Wangaratta
- Gave a speech at the GO TAFE Wangaratta Mental Health Forum
- Acknowledged in Parliament the Albury-Wodonga Winter Solstice Community Evening "The Survivors of Suicide and Friends"
- Raised the need for ongoing funding for the Angel Flight health care air transport service in Parliament
- Called on the Government to increase funding to improve co-ordination and delivery of mental health services across regional Australia as part of Indi's celebration of World Mental Health Day
- Represented the problems of hundreds of constituents in the health system to the Minister for Health