Asylum Seekers and Immigration
We need an immigration system that respects international law, is fair, and ensures people's health, safety and dignity is maintained
To view my commitments to this area, please click here
Asked the Minister for Immigration and Border Control Peter Dutton in Question Time for details of the government's plan to close the asylum seeker detention centre on Manus Island, citing the need for compassion and justice.
- Pressed for more transparency and accountability in a speech to the Australian Border Force Amendment (Protected Information) Bill 2017
Called for the government to urgently find viable and humane solutions for those remaining under offshore processing arrangements, in a Notice of Motion
- Met with Rural Australians for Refugees, Thomas Albrecht, Regional Representative for the UNHCR, and the Australian Red Cross.
Spoke out against proposed changes to the Migration Act following an overwhelming response from her electorate, telling the government “we can do better”. Cathy and Independent Member for Denison Andrew Wilkie put forward an amendment to the Migration Legislation Amendment (Regional Processing Cohort) Bill 2016 calling for a sophisticated response to the issue of asylum seekers rather than one based on fear.
- Syrian refugee resettlement information
Presented six petitions to Parliament on behalf of community, calling for the humane treatment of asylum seekers
Asked the Government to 'do better', as Australia has the capacity to protect its borders and provide humane and timely assessment of people seeking refuge in Australia
- Raised awareness of Australia's historic capacity to be compassionate and successfully integrate asylum seekers in a national and regional environment with bi-partisan support
- Made representations to the Minister for Immigration and Border Protection on behalf of dozens of constituents on a range of visitor and immigration visa issues, as well as many humanitarian visa problems
- Welcomed to Parliament a group of young Bhutanese people from Albury-Wodonga who were participating in a Regional Youth Leadership Program. Their visit to Parliament highlighted the large range of community, local government, education and government agencies providing wonderful support to assist the resettlement of refugees into our caring and supportive region
- Seconded a motion put to the House of Representatives by Independent MP for Dennison Andrew Wilkie supporting the Migration Amendment (Ending the Nation's Shame) Bill 2014