Indi Matters: $7 million Federal Government funding for major road projects
Independent Member for Indi, Cathy McGowan AO, has welcomed more than $7 million in Federal funding to help fix roads and upgrade rest stops in Indi. The funding announcement today was made under the Federal Government Black Spot Programme for roads.
Ms McGowan said Indi matters and being an Independent seat gets results. “These projects are important for improving safety on our country roads. Congratulations to councils and local groups for successfully lobbying for this funding,” she said.
“I welcome our taxpayers’ money coming back to Indi. New investment in our region is positive news for jobs and communities. Clearly the more we are on the national radar, the more we are being heard.”
“I’m delighted for the community in Mansfield. It has long been calling for an alternative truck route. Mansfield has a beautiful CBD and getting the trucks out of town will make a huge difference, particularly for community safety,” Ms McGowan said.
The sealing of sections of the Shelley–Walwa Road would please the transport and forestry industry. “This is a very important project. It gives confidence to the timber industry and
“Speaking with the Rutherglen community this week, an alternative truck route is needed to divert heavy vehicles around the town. I fully support the community and will be lobbying the Federal and Victorian Government to fund this project,” Ms McGowan said.
Black Spot Programme funding
- Shelley-Walwa Road, Guys Forest - Pavement Sealing Stage 1 &2: $3.76 million for sealing 3.5km section of Shelley-Walwa Road
- Hume Freeway Benton's Hill Rest Area Upgrade - $1.08 million upgrade 18 new truck parking bays, new toilets and lighting
- Hume Freeway Reef Hills Rest Area Upgrade - $960,000 construction of 14 parking bays, new toilet block, sewerage treatment plant and lighting
- Mansfield Heavy Vehicle Bypass - $700,000
- Section of Eildon Jamieson Road, Jerusalem Creek Track to 12km south at Eildon - $303,000 - improvements
- Section of Eildon Jamieson Road from Old Eildon Road to 26.5km south at Jamieson - $301,000 – improvements
- Bonnie Doon - $33,000 - Sonnberg Drive between Hilda Court and Maintongoon Road improvements
- Bonnie Doon - $13,000 for improvements to section of Hutchinsons Road from Nanda Court to James Street
- West Wodonga - $7000 - Lawrence Street and Emerald Avenue intersection upgrade