Indi Weekly Scoop, April 24, 2015
Posted April 24, 2015
- Out and about in Indi
- Indi ANZAC commemorations
- Kitchen Table Conversations – Q&A with Cathy
- Indi funding news
- Nominate Indi Aboriginal hero for Honour Roll
- Future of local food on menu
A two-day visit to the Murrindindi Shire was the perfect way to start another busy week. Cathy toured the Toolangi Forest with VicForests representatives. She hosted Budget Impact Tour and Kitchen Table Conversation briefings in Yea, and with the Cathyvan, met with constituents in Narbethong, Glenburn, Taggerty, Alexandra, Eildon and Marysville. Issues included:
- mobile phone coverage
- local government rates
- health services
Cathy also visited the Flowerdale Primary School and students showed her their ANZAC crafts. The kids were thrilled to see the Cathyvan pull up in the front of the school! On the way to Murrindindi, Cathy helped Cooinda Village resident Grace Mayne celebrate her 100th birthday with family and friends. The next Valley Visit is scheduled for Wednesday, May 6, to the King Valley. Details can be found on the events calendar.
Indi ANZAC commemorations
Centenary of ANZAC commemorations continue across Indi. Cathy attended the AD Lowerson statue unveiling in Myrtleford yesterday (pictured with Angus Goodman, left, and Myrtleford and District Historical Society president John Taylor), Wangaratta High School assembly today and Wodonga and Tangambalanga on ANZAC Day. The contributions made by the ANZAC to our culture are significant. Cathy believes the values displayed by our service men and women from 100 years ago remain relevant today. You can view Cathy’s video reflecting on ANZAC Day 2015 at the website. The ANZAC Local Centenary Grants program provided $125,000 for 21 projects in Indi. Working with the Indi ANZAC Committee was a pleasure for Cathy. She is grateful for the diligence and professional of the committee members throughout the application and submission process. You can view the ANZAC Local Centenary Grants projects and committee members here.
Kitchen Table Conversations – Q&A with Cathy
Have you heard about the Kitchen Table Conversations? Cathy explains the concept and how to get involved in a short video now online. Early indicators suggest there is plenty of enthusiasm for the KTCs, taking place from May onwards. The report will be launched on August 2.
Indi Funding News
In Indi Funding News, four "Saluting Their Service" commemoration grants valued at $8721 have been approved. These projects add to the interesting military history in each area. Mt Beauty and Benalla Men’s Sheds received $12,700 from the National Shed Development Program.
- Mansfield RSL Sub-Branch – glass cabinet for clubrooms - $2629 – erect flagpole - $1133
- Merrijig Public Hall – renovate/upgrade Merrijig Memorial, erect flagpole - $4000
- Wodonga RSL Sub-Branch – erect flagpole at Wodonga RSL - $959
- Mt Beauty Men’s Shed - $8000
- Benalla Men’s Shed - $4700
Contact Mansfield historian Graham Godber on 03 5777 5731, Merrijig project coordinator Georgie Deyell on 03 9841 0356 and Wodonga RSL president Kevyn Williams on 02 6047 5787 for more information. Round 10 of the National Shed Development Program is now open.
Nominate Indi Aboriginal hero for Honour Roll
The Victorian Aboriginal Honour Roll roadshow was launched in Wangaratta. Nominations to add aboriginal Victorians to the honour roll are open now. Cathy encourages the Aboriginal communities in Indi to consider making a nomination of a local hero. The honour can also be awarded posthumously. A book containing 64 stories of the recipients already honoured is on display at the Wangaratta Library until the end of next week. For all information on the Victorian Aboriginal Honour Roll visit the website.
Future of local food on menu
Cathy is officially opening the Building a Local Food Future forum next Friday, May 1. North East Regional Landcare Facilitators and Healthy Together Wodonga are co-hosting the forum at the Cube in Wodonga. Visit the website to register.
- Friday, April 24 - Unveiling of interpretive honour boards, Wangaratta High School
- Friday Night Conversation, Albury Wodonga Community College, Albury Wodonga Health CEO Susan O’Neill, talking Health without Borders – 5.30pm
Saturday, April 25
- Saturday, April 25 – Wodonga Dawn Service, Kiewa/Tangambalanga morning service
Monday, April 27
- Bandiana Neighbourhood House, Wattle Rd, Bandiana Time: 10am
- Birallee Park Neighbourhood House , 39 Emerald Avenue, Wodonga Time: 11am
- Trudewind Neighbourhood House, Quirk Court, Wodonga Time: 12pm
Cathy in the Café
- Wodonga Plant Farm Time: 2pm