Indi Weekly Scoop, December 4, 2015
Posted December 04, 2015
Eight projects in Indi are waiting on the announcement of Round Two of the National Stronger Regions Fund. In response to Cathy’s last question in Parliament for 2016, Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development, Warren Truss, announced the successful projects would be announced next week. These projects are important to build community capacity in Indi. Indi was a big winner in Round One, with $12 million in funding for Wodonga ($10million), Bright ($1.87 million) and Wahgunyah ($200,000) announced in May this year.
House of Reps – Legislation passed – November 30-December 3
- Defence Legislation Amendment (First Principles)
- Export Control Amendment (Quotas)
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies Amendment
- Australian Citizenship Amendment (Allegiance to Australia) Bill 2015
- Omnibus Repeal Day (Spring 2015) Amending Acts 1990-1999 Repeal Statute Law Revision
- Labor 2013-14 Budget Savings (Measures No.2)
- Aged Care Amendment (Red tape Reduction in Places Management)
- Crimes Legislation Amendment (Proceeds of Crime and Other Measures)
- More information at the APH website
Speeches in Parliament – November 30-December 3
- Yea community radio studio on airwaves this Saturday!
- Northeast Health Wangaratta Telehealth linking services to communities
- Agriculture in Indi eager to innovate for future sustainability
- Yea Water Discovery Centre scores major tourism award
- Wodonga Gold Cup a runaway success
- Wangaratta stands up for action on climate change
- Young Wodonga leaders get parliamentary lesson in the 'People's House'
- Cathy secures National Stronger Regions Fund announcement
Press releases online
- Cathy wins significant infrastructure announcement commitment
- Social Change 101 program to benefit Alpine and Indigo entrepreneurs
Youth Politics Camp
A three-day camp for on 15-17 January 2016 is being held for people aged 15-25 interested in learning about politics and the Australian system of democracy. Cathy congratulated the Wodonga, Alpine, Indigo, Wangaratta and Benalla councils and youth development officers for holding the camp to teach young people about the Australian democratic system. Cathy is looking forward to the Q&A session on January 17. Contact your local youth development officer for information.
Have your say
Cathy encourages community feedback on two Government inquiries which are relevant to regional Australia.
Arts - The House of Representatives Standing Committee on Communications and the Arts is holding an inquiry into the importance of public and commercial broadcasting, online content and live production to rural and regional Australia, including the arts, news and other services. Submissions are being taken until 5 February, 2016. Terms of reference and submission information can be found here.
Transport and economic growth - The Standing Committee on Infrastructure, Transport and Cities has launched an inquiry into increased transport connectivity and economic activity, with a focus on value-capture as a funding mechanism for infrastructure development. Terms of reference and submission information can be found online. Submissions close on 12 February, 2016.
Indi Arts community, get creative
Arts funding for community programs is now open. Catalyst – Australian Arts and Culture Fund will fund $12 million in projects each year to arts organisations. Cathy welcomed the Government’s decision re-instate $8 million per year to support small to medium organisations. Projects that increase participation of regional Australians in the arts will be prioritised. To see guidelines and eligibility criteria, visit the Ministry for the Arts website.
° Project Kick Start: Tourism North East is running an Expression of Interest process to support fast tracking of tourism projects. More info here.
° The Federal Government’s Business Consultation website connects business with Australian Government departments and agencies in one place. Learn more here.
° Sustainability Victoria is offering grants funding for eligible businesses to review their activities and to identify and implement energy and materials efficiency improvements. More information here.
Cathy’s Diary December 5-11
° Opening UGFM radio station at Yea – Saturday, December 6
° Benalla Baptist church leaders – Monday, December7
° FCJ College Benalla presentation night – Monday, December 7
° Border Trust Showcase – Tuesday, December 8
° Chiltern Spinners Christmas break-up – Thursday, December 10
° 2cool4school Graduation, Albury Wodonga Community College – Friday, December 11
IMAGE: Cathy meets with Australasian Railways Association CEO Danny Broad to get an overview of the future rail works.