Indi weekly scoop July 17
Posted July 17, 2015
- Community workshops to plan regional transport future
- Indi Funding News
- Community forums on telecommunications
- Mobile Black Spot Programme Round 2
- Kitchen Table Conversations – Report Launch August 2, Wangaratta PAC!
- Friday Night Conversation – effective Government lobbying
- Register Now - Spirit of ANZAC Centenary Experience
- Funding opportunities
- Government seeking views
Cathy welcomed the State Government’s decision to include community consultation in the Regional Network Development Plan process. This follows on from a commitment given during a meeting with Member for Murray, Dr Sharman Stone, Cathy and Public Transport Victoria (PTV) CEO Mark Wild in February. Cathy said it’s really important that the community attend these workshops and provide solutions-focused feedback to give PTV a clear picture of what is needed. Please pass the ‘word’ around your networks and encourage people to attend.
Benalla: Monday 10 August, 5-7pm
Wangaratta: Tuesday 11 August, 5-7pm
Wodonga: Wednesday 12 August, 6-8pm
Plan, survey, workshop and feedback information can be found at the PTV website. Feedback closes on September 11, 2015.
Indi Funding News
Hume Veterans’ Information Centre will receive $58,779 in Federal Government funding through the Building Excellence in Support and Training (BEST) program. This program is administered by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs, and Ms McGowan thanked the Federal Government and Minister for Veteran’s Affairs, Senator Michael Ronaldson, on behalf of the local community.
In case you missed it - Indi service providers will share in $959,930 of Home and Community Care (HACC) funding from the Federal Government. HACC programs across the electorate provide support to older residents and younger people with disability to stay in their own homes.
Aged care service boost - Vic State Government funding for services and training
Cathy acknowledges the central role that the Victorian Government plays in funding our health services and notes the following allocations:
Beechworth Health Service - $400,000
Tallangatta Health Service - $44,300
Alpine Health Myrtleford - $24,300
Albury Wodonga Health, Benalla Health, Indigo North Health, Northeast Health Wangaratta and Upper Murray Health and Community Services, Mansfield District Hospital, Yea and District Memorial Hospital - $14,300 each
Community forums on telecommunications
The Australian Communications Consumer Action Network (ACCAN) is holding three community sessions in Indi. Cathy met with ACCAN CEO Teresa Corbin and director of policy Una Lawrence in Canberra recently, and invited them to share information with Indi residents. These community sessions will focus on how communities can effectively lobby telcos and governments for improved services. These meetings are a ‘must attend’ for those who want to take action to improve mobile phone coverage, internet and also connect with other community members with the same interest.
• Beechworth Neighbourhood Centre, Wednesday 22 July, Drop in between 6pm – 8:30pm.
• Oxley Shire Hall, Thursday 23rd July 2015, Drop in between 5:30pm – 7pm
• Benalla Community Care Centre; 45 Coster Street, Meeting Room 1, Friday 24 July, 10am onwards
To find out more about ACCAN visit http://accan.org.au/consumer-info
Mobile Black Spot Programme Round 2
Nominations are open for Round 2 of the Mobile Black Spot Programme (MBSP). Indi was the big winner from the first round of the MBSP with 30 base stations to be built, covering 199 black spots. Plenty of work still needs to be done to address black spots not covered in the first round. Community members are encouraged to nominate black spots by emailing email@example.com.
Kitchen Table Conversations – Report Launch locked in for August 2!
Over the past 3 months, hundreds of people across Indi have been having kitchen table conversations talking about the future of our communities. The formal report will be launched on August 2 at the Wangaratta Performing Arts Centre. Registrations start at 1.30pm, with the KTC Report launched at 2pm. Cathy and 4 inspiring guests will outline their Visions for Indi. Register online.
Friday Night Conversation – effective Government lobbying
Are you keen to learn how a Barnawartha company was able to alter Government policy to get a positive outcome? Andrew White, managing director of AR Fuels Ltd is Cathy’s guest conversationalist at the next Friday Night Conversation on July 31 at the Wodonga Community College 5.30-7.00pm. Please RSVP for the event via the website.
Register Now - Spirit of ANZAC Centenary Experience
In a major coup for the North East, Wodonga has been chosen as the opening venue of the Spirit of ANZAC Centenary Experience (SACE). Registrations of interest are vital, as places are limited. SACE will open on Friday, September 4 and run until September 10 at the Wodonga Sports and Leisure Centre. Please visit the SACE website to register your interest.
Get on board Team Cathy!
The campaign website is up and running, you can show your support and sign up to volunteer for Team Cathy here. In a short video, Cathy talks to supporters about her decision to stand for re-election. The next election will be policy before personality and Cathy is calling on everyone to “be their best selves”.
Green Army in Indi
Green Army projects are helping the environment in Indi. Six Green Army projects have been funded in Indi. Round four funding will open in August 2015. Local groups and councils are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit the Green Army website.
Funding grants for women in ag
Women & Leadership Australia is supporting the development of female leaders across all sectors. Grant applications for the National Industry Scholarship Initiative are open to women employed in the agriculture sector at two levels, senior and middle management. For information visit the Women and Leadership Australia website.
Government seeking views
- Register road black spots - visit the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development website to tell the Government your road needs improving.
- The deadline has been extended for submissions to the Joint Standing Committee on Migration inquiry into the Seasonal Worker Programme until July 31. Visit www.aph.gov.au/mig or contact the committee secretariat on (02) 6277 4560 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wodonga Chamber of Commerce Business Awards 2015, the Cube, Friday, July 17 – 7pm
- Kerferd Oration, Sunday, July 19, 11am, George Kerferd Hotel, Mayday Hills, Beechworth
- Yarrunga Primary School visit – Monday, July 20 – 10.30am
- Wodonga Middle Years College – Tuesday, July 21 – 1.15pm
- Beechworth ACCAN Community Forum – Wednesday, July 22
- Wodonga Flexible Learning Centre – Thursday, July 23 – 10am
- Mitta Valley Cathyvan Visit, – Saturday, July 25 – Talgarno - 9am, Mitta v Thurgoona, 14.5pm, Mitta Mitta Oval
Save the date
- Rural Australians for Refugees, National Human Rights Commissioner Gillian Triggs – Friday, August 7 – 7pm