Indi Weekly Scoop, July 2, 2015
Posted July 02, 2015
- Indi ag news
- Green army marching in Indi
- Out and about in Indi
- Get on board Team Cathy
- Kitchen Table Conversations – get ready for the launch on August 2!
- Spirit of ANZAC – register now
- Online safety boost for children
- 2016 Australian of the Year – nominate now
Indi ag news
Cathy spoke at the Agrifoods Opportunities Forum about the important role education providers will play in the future of agriculture in regional Australia. The forum was a partnership between CSU and AgriFood Skills Australia.
- Food labelling – you have until tomorrow to have your say on Country of Origin labelling reforms, visit the Industry website.
- Funding to support farming – Food Source grants of up to $250,000 for projects and up to $5000 for planning are now open. The State Government initiative will support farmers looking to explore innovative markets and expand. The aim is to grow food exports and create new jobs in the sector. Visit Food Source Victoria for all information. #youngfarmersvic Scholarships valued up to $10,000 are also available under this program. This is a good opportunity for young farmers to increase business management skills and learn more about expanding markets. Applications for the Young Farmers Ministerial Advisory Council expressions of interest are now open. Information here.
Green Army marching in Indi
Green Army projects are helping the environment in Indi. Cathy visited the Felltimber Creek Catchment Project in Wodonga on Monday (pictured). Green Army members gave Cathy a tour of the project to improve the Box Gum Grassy Woodlands. Six Green Army projects have been funded in Indi. Round four funding will open in August 2015. Local groups and councils are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit the Green Army website.
Out and about in Indi
- Cathy welcomed Assistant Minister for Social Services, Senator the Hon Mitch Fifield, to Indi today. Senator Fifield was in Wangaratta for the opening of the St Johns Village redevelopment.
- Cathy visited parish members of St Stephens in Beechworth and Lutheran in Wodonga on Tuesday. She received a warm welcome at both venues and people took advantage of the opportunity to speak to their local Federal member about a range of issues.
Get on board Team Cathy!
The campaign website is up and running, you can show your support and sign up to volunteer for Team Cathy here. Watch a short video at Cathy’s website to hear why she has decided to stand for re-election. The next election will be policy before personality and Cathy is calling on everyone to “be their best selves”.
Kitchen Table Conversations – get ready for the launch, August 2!
Mark August 2 in your diary for the KTC launch. Being held at the Wangaratta PAC at 1.30pm for 2pm, the report launch will highlight this extensive community consultation process. There’ll be special guests with a focus on the youth of Indi and their vision for Indi.
Spirit of ANZAC Centenary Experience – register now
In a major coup for the North East, Wodonga has been chosen as the opening venue of the Spirit of ANZAC Centenary Experience (SACE). Registrations of interest are vital, as places are limited. SACE will open on Friday, September 4 and run until September 10 at the Wodonga Sports and Leisure Centre. Please visit the SACE website to register your interest.
Online safety boost for children
The Office of the Children’s eSafety Commissioner started operating yesterday. The Children’s eSafety Commissioner is a complaints system to get cyberbullying material, targeted at children, removed quickly from large social media sites. Under the new laws, the Children’s eSafety Commissioner can require a large social media service to remove cyberbullying material. The Children’s eSafety Commissioner website and cyberbullying complaint form can be found at www.esafety.gov.au.
2016 Australian of the Year – nominate now
Know an outstanding resident in Indi? Cathy encourages you to consider nominating someone worthy from your community for the 2016 Australian of the Year. Nominations are now open and close on August 3, 2015.
Government seeking views
Register road black spots - visit the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development website to tell the Government your road needs improving.
Home insulation businesses - for all claim information, visit the Department of Industry and Science website, applications close on 13 July, 2015.
Australian Citizenship ‘Your Right, Your Responsibility’ Discussion Paper – Visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection for a link to the Discussion Paper
Indi arts groups, have your say - The ‘cultural economy’ in Indi plays an important role in various ways. Cathy encourages Indi arts groups to go into bat for an increase to regional arts funding with a submission into the Senate Inquiry into arts funding.
- Electoral education feedback sought - The Joint Standing Committee on Electoral Matters is holding an inquiry into the delivery of electoral education. Cathy is encouraging Indi schools to offer feedback. Deadline for lodging submissions is 17 July 2015. Submissions lodged online are preferred or can be sent to em@aph.