Significant infrastructure funding announcement next week: Minister tells Cathy McGowan
Independent Member for Indi, Cathy McGowan AO, has secured a commitment from acting Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development, Warren Truss, to make a major infrastructure announcement for regional Australia.
Responding to a question today in Parliament from Ms McGowan, Mr Truss said he would announcement successful projects under Round 2 of the National Stronger Regions Fund (NSRF) next week.
Indi Round 2 applications:
- Rural City of Wangaratta - Wangaratta Indoor Sports & Aquatic Centre
- Rural City of Benalla - Benalla Airport Redevelopment project
- Indigo Shire Council - Rutherglen Economic Revitalisation project
- Towong Shire Council - Destination Tallangatta
- Alpine Shire Council - Alpine Better Places project
- Mt Buller/Mt Stirling Resort Management Group Water storage - Mt Buller/Mt Stirling Resort Water Storage project
- Mansfield Shire Council - Youth Hub/Skate Park project
- Murrindindi Shire Council - Yea Saleyards upgrade
Mr Truss told Parliament the NSRF had been designed to assist areas that had been “left behind in our nation’s growth” and were aimed at “addressing disadvantage and providing opportunities”.
Indi received more than $12 million in round one of the National Stronger Regions Fund announced in May this year. Wodonga and Bright were big winners, along with Wahgunyah.
- $10 million towards Wodonga City Heart project
- $1.87 million towards Alpine Events Centre in Bright
- $200,000 to support Wahgunyah Recreation Reserve upgrade
Ms McGowan said Indi was getting attention at the Federal level due to the Independent representation. In the 2015 Federal Budget, Indi received the third highest allocation of mobile phone towers in Australia under the Mobile Black Spot Programme, with 30 to be constructed across the North East.
“Funding continues to flow into the electorate and the results are proof that Indi matters,” Ms McGowan said.