The Indi Weekly Scoop 10 March 2017 - WANT BETTER NBN?
Cathy Celebrating International Women’s Day with the bold young women from Marian College in Myrtleford. Story below
INDI IN THE NEWS
Want better NBN? Have your say in inquiry now
Make a submission about the NBN rollout to the Senate Select Committee on the National Broadband Network by March 31. Submissions will also be used to inform Cathy’s action to improve NBN in Indi.
Make a submission
Cathy’s actions on NBN and telecommunications
Cathy celebrates the women of Indi
Cathy spent time last week in a workshop run by Global Sisters, a network enabling women outside the mainstream work force to be financially independent.
Indi is full of strong, effective women acting for change in their local communities.
Cathy welcomes some movement on North East rail line
Cathy has welcomed the partial release by the Australian Rail Track Corporation of the lease agreement with the Victorian government. However, it’s very disappointing the train between Wodonga and Melbourne will become a bus ride over this week’s long weekend.
- Call Public Transport Victoria to give feedback on service interruptions 1800 800 007.
- Learn about what Cathy is doing to improve rail services on the Wodonga-Melbourne line
Regional education review welcomed
Cathy said for young people to stay in regional areas, they need access to education that leads to meaningful employment. Cathy will be encouraging constituents to make submissions to the review when the opening date is announced.
- Media release: Regional education review welcome for Indi youth
Congratulations Dr Emily Remnant – Science and Innovation Award
Minister Joyce announced $230,000 for 11 Science and Innovation Awards for Young People in Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry this week. The special Minister's Award has gone to Dr Emily Remnant, originally from Wangaratta, for her innovative work into ways to protect honeybee populations in Australia and across the globe.
Cathy meets with new Murray Goulburn CEO
Cathy met with the new CEO of Murray Goulburn Ari Mervis on Tuesday. Cathy is looking forward to welcoming members of Alpine Valleys Dairy Pathways Project to Canberra on Wednesday 22 March.
Corryong: Country shows alive and well in North East Victoria
Cathy was honoured to open the Corryong Country Show and congratulate the show’s 'young people' Chaise and Paige Heinjus.
Cathy and VFF talk about matters of importance for Indi
The VFF is an important and influential lobby group for farmers and rural communities. At Tallangatta on Tuesday night Cathy talked with them about trains, mobile phone black spots and the need to be vaccinated against Q Fever.
Transformers boon to renewable Indi
Cathy met with Jon Retford at Wilson Transformers to learn about their work building transformers for the renewable energy market, employing over 250 people and enjoying an impressive safety record.
- Improved self-help resource available for former ADF personnel: High Res website
- NFF bush health survey: The Royal Flying Doctor Service and the National Farmers' Federation want to understand the health priorities for country people. Complete the survey here.
- Modernising Australia’s electricity grid – inquiry. Have your say.
THE WEEK AHEAD
Happy long weekend and welcome to Autumn!
- Continued Alexandra 150th celebrations
- Monday 13 March: Tolpuddle Cheese Open Day, Tarrawingee
- Friday 17 March: Official Opening of the Argus Learning Centre at Victory Lutheran College, Wodonga; Mars Petcare tour Wodonga