The Indi Weekly Scoop 11 May 2017
Posted May 12, 2017
Image: The Border Mail's Shana Morgan covered the Budget from Canberra and was welcomed to Cathy's office to get the Indi perspective.
INDI IN THE NEWS
$100 million rail win for Indi!
The announcement of $100 million in the Budget for the North East rail line upgrade is a stunning win for Indi.
- Media release: End of the line for rail pain in Indi
- Question Time: PM acknowledges community work, says Minister will visit
Have a say – it’s the Indi way
What do you think about the Federal Budget? Have a say in a short online survey before 25 May. The feedback will be used to inform Cathy’s speech in reply to the Budget and a report to be produced in mid-June.
- Have a say – Budget impact survey
- There are still spots available in our Benalla breakfast for young people - free breakfast and a chat about what matters
Learning networks and TAFEs well placed to benefit from vocational training funding
The government's announcement of more than $1.5billion for vocational training will provide an opportunity to improve workforce development and the options available for young people in North East Victoria.
Media release: Indi vocational education and training well palaced to claim share of $1.5 billion
Commitment to infrastructure to benefit Indi’s local councils
Local councils in Indi will benefit from increased Roads to Recovery funding, Round 2 of the Building Better Regions Fund, continuation of the Stronger Communities fund, and the lifting of the indexation freeze on Financial Assistance Grants.
INDI IN CANBERRA
Wodonga Catholic College students extend leadership learning in Parliament House
Year 11 and 12 politics students from Wodonga Catholic College joined Cathy in Canberra for a first-hand experience of federal politics. Cathy shared with the students the importance of lobbying and being the catalyst of change within their communities. The group has recently been involved in the Wodonga Future Forum and fundraising for Caritas.
Returned service men and women acknowledged in Canberra
Cathy was honoured to welcome a delegation from the Wangaratta RSL and North East Branch of the National Servicepersons Association of Australia to Parliament House today. The visit followed the group’s participation in laying wreaths during the Last Post Ceremony at the Australian War Memorial the previous day.
This week volunteers Claudia Weatherall and Des Lonergan, both from Wodonga, joined the Canberra team.
Claudia is currently working in Melbourne. She also volunteers with Community Music Victoria and recently helped organise a festival in Geelong that brings isolated musicians together. Claudia says her time in Parliament House during Budget Week has inspired her to look into the impact of education policy and fee changes on rural and regional students.
“There are already barriers to young people studying. City kids might get to stay at home while they study, country kids often have to move. “
Des is a real estate agent who completed a leadership training course with Cathy some years ago. Des enjoyed being responsible for welcoming an RSL delegation from Wangaratta to Parliament House, and assisting the team during one of the busiest Parliamentary weeks of the year.
“I like meeting people (I shook the hand of the Speaker of the House!) and it's been great to be of service.”
Climate Action Network small grants
CANA’s small grants scheme is open to Australian people and organisations of all types who are working to repower their communities and the country with energy from the sun, wind and water. Grants will generally be for $5000 but larger requests (up to $25,000) will be considered. Applications for the next round of funding close at 5pm on Sunday 21 May 2017
- Sunday 14 May Happy Mother’s Day!
- Monday 15 May Young Indi Breakfast Wodonga 7.30-9am (RSVPs closed); Public meeting regarding Murray Goulburn Dairy Coulston Park Community Centre, Tangambalanga, 7pm
- Tuesday 16 May Young Indi Breakfast Wangaratta 7.30-9am (RSVPs closed); Meeting with Alpine Shire Council 3.30pm; Alpine Shire Professionals Network Dinner, Eurobin 7pm
- Wednesday 17 May Business Wangaratta Business After Hours event, 6pm firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thursday 18 May Young Indi Breakfast Benalla 7.30-9am; Grow Your Idea movie, Wangaratta PAC, 6pm
- Sunday 20 May La Fiera Mass and Procession, Myrtleford Plaza, 9am, including the visit of the Italian Ambassador His Excellency Pier Francesco