Image: Voices for Indi hosted the Australian Rural Leadership Program in Oxley on Sunday 12 February.
INDI IN THE NEWS
- Action on trains in Parliament
Cathy tabled a motion calling passenger services to be considered core business for the Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC).
- Media release: Government challenged to act now on rail woes
Childcare legislation still not right
Cathy continues to fight for rural and regional families in proposed childcare reforms.
- Media release: Childcare needed for rural and regional families
- Information about Cathy's previous action on rural childcare
Action on Farm Household Allowance needed now
Cathy told Parliament that the Farm Household Allowance is still not working for farmers. A community meeting for dairy farmers will be held at 10am, Wednesday 22 February at the Tangambalanga Community Centre.
- Video: Centrelink process fails farmers needing assistance
- Information on report from Tangambalanga meeting in November
INDI IN CANBERRA - SPEECHES
Cathy supported a cross bench push for stronger penalties on entitlements.
- Video: Cathy McGowan supports amendments to strengthen expenses bill
- Video: Entitlements reform a matter or restoring public trust
- Media release: McGowan in independent push for stronger penalties on entitlements
Closing the Gap – local stories of success
- Video: 2017 Closing the Gap Speech
- Media release: Local indigenous stories inspire answers to help close the gap
Cathy supported the Native Title Amendment (Indigenous Land Use Agreements) Bill 2017
Video: Minister for Indigenous Health Ken Wyatt and Member for Barton Linda Burney on the amendment
Infrastructure for rural and regional Australia - Private Members Bill
Minister supports community energy initiatives in Indi
Care Leavers Australia Network honoured
Beechworth’s WRAP gets a rap in Parliament
Video: Beechworth Writers, Readers and Poets Weekend an honour to open
10 years of friendship with PNG Women in Agriculture celebrated
Cathy praised Papua New Guinea Australian Women in Agriculture.
Legislation that has passed the House of Representatives this week:
- Agriculture and Water Resources Legislation Amendment
- Excise Levies Legislation Amendment (Honey)
- Building and Construction Industry (Improving Productivity) Amendment
- Customs and Other Legislation Amendment
- Customs Tariff Amendment
- Independent Parliamentary Expenses Authority
- Independent Parliamentary Expenses Authority (Consequential Amendments)
- Native Title Amendment (Indigenous Land Use Agreements) 2017
- Parliamentary Entitlements Legislation Amendment
- Superannuation Amendment (PSSAP Membership)
- Transport Security Amendment (Serious or Organised Crime)
- Transport Security Legislation Amendment
- Treasury Laws Amendment (2016 Measures No. 1)
- Treasury Laws Amendment (Bourke Street Fund)
Volunteer team in Canberra
Image: Bev Hoffman, Julie Aldous, Cathy McGowan, Assistant Minister for Vocational Education and Skills Karen Andrews and Billy Munro
It was another great week for volunteers. Representatives of the North East Local Learning and Employment Network (NELLEN) met with Assistant Minister for Vocational Education and Skills, Karen Andrews and invited her to visit Indi. Mark Cottee of National Disability Coordination met with Shadow Assistant Minister for Schools Andrew Giles.
Another new phone tower - Dartmouth
Come and celebrate the opening of the 3rd of 38 mobile phone towers for Indi. Join Cathy and Telstra’s Steve Tinker at 2pm at the Dartmouth Pub for afternoon tea.
Building Better Regions Fund application deadline 28 February
THE WEEK AHEAD
Get in Cathy’s ear in Murrindindi
Cathy is visiting Murrindindi on Tuesday 21 February. Activities include a tour of the Eildon Houseboat Building Yard and Marina, meetings with the Outdoor Education Group and LandCare, and the official opening of Yea Toilet Facilities Refurbishment Project. Get in Cathy's ear in High Street Yea from 4pm.
Other activities coming up:
- Saturday 18 Feb: Rutherglen RSL - 100 years
- Sunday 19 Feb: Hume Bank City2City Run Walk 2017 Albury/Wodonga
- Monday 20 Feb: Meeting with council representatives from across Indi
- Tuesday 21 Feb: Murrindindi visit
- Wednesday 22 Feb: Dairy community meeting and Dartmouth mobile phone tower celebration.
- Saturday: Cundy Park Picnic Shelter project opening, Myrtleford