The Indi Weekly Scoop 17 March 2017
Image: Cathy joined in a celebration at Wodonga’s Sumsion Gardens on Thursday 16 March to acknowledge the work of local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and other health services in Closing The Gap.
INDI IN THE NEWS
More action from Cathy on rail in Parliament
Cathy will introduce a Private Member’s Bill to Parliament next week requiring rail projects to maximise passenger benefits for communities along the rail line.
- Media release: Rail action rolls on for North East
- Interview: Minister for Transport hints at inland rail upgrade benefit for line
Cathy welcomes Task Force as a win for regional Australia
Cathy has welcomed the formation of a Regional Ministerial Task Force as a sign that the government is hearing the call to put regional Australia at the centre of policy-making.
Childcare fight for rural communities continues
Cathy vows to continue to stand up for rural childcare in an opinion piece in the Land.
Have a say on the NBN rollout
Information on how to make a submission to the Joint Standing Committee by 31 March here.
Alpine Valley dairy farmers to visit Canberra 22 March
A delegation from theSix members of the Alpine Valleys Dairy Pathways Project, including dairy farmers, industry experts and the Towong Shire Mayor, Cr David Wortmann, will meet with the officea senior adviser to of Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce and Minister for Regional Development Fiona Nash on Wednesday 22 March. “I’m so proud of our farmers putting their hand up to act on behalf of the industry,” Cathy said.
- A timeline of Cathy’s action in Indi on dairy (PDF)
- Media release: Farmers take dairy plan to Canberra
Indi farmers praised for role in ACCC Beef report
Cathy has praised beef farmers in Indi for showing leadership by calling a community meeting which gave rise to an inquiry into the beef industry.
- Media release: ACCC report welcomed
Cathy celebrates new learning facility with Victory Lutheran College
Cathy is pictured with Victory Lutheran College Captain Alissa Donaldson on the opening of college's new Argus Learning Centre. The Centre is a $2 million development at the school, funded in part by $600,000 from the Australian Government’s Capital Grants Program, with the rest provided by the school and Lutheran Church.
Bridges funding announced
Round Three of the Australian Government Bridges Renewal Programme is now open. Indi received $1,143,000 under Round Two.
National Water Reform
Submissions are invited to the issues paper for National Water Reform. View Issues Paper
THE WEEK AHEAD
- Monday 20 March: Cathy to introduce Private Members Bill, the National Land Transport Amendment (Best Practice Rail Investment) Bill 2017; Delegation from the Alpine Valleys Community Leadership Program
- Tuesday 21 March: St Mary's & St Joseph's Primary School Rutherglen to visit Parliament House; AVCLP to meet with Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull
- Wednesday 22 March: Alpine Valleys Dairy Pathways Project to meet with Ministers at Parliament House
- Friday 24 March: Visit to Wodonga Primary School
- Saturday 25 March: Unveiling of the RSL memorial for the Centenary of World War I, Benalla Rose Gardens; High Country Hops Festival Beechworth
- Friday 24 March to Sunday 26 March: Yackandandah Folk Festival. Go to yackfolkfestival.com