The Indi Weekly Scoop 20 October 2017
Posted October 20, 2017
INDI IN THE NEWS
Action on community energy as a vital piece of national power jigsaw
As the government releases detail of its power policy, Cathy has called for recognition of the potential of community energy projects. She will meet with the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) next week to discuss how ARENA can better encourage community energy projects.
- Cathy’s Renewable Energy Legislation Amendment (Supporting Renewable Communities) Bill 2017 – watch the speech here
- Media release
Manus motion to be debated
Cathy’s motion calling for a humane resolution to the fate of asylum seekers on Manus Island will be debated in Parliament on Monday 23 October.
Marriage equality – replacement form deadline today
6pm today is the last time possible to request a replacement marriage equality survey form. Survey forms should be posted back by 27 October. More information here.
INDI IN CANBERRA
Indi’s huge contribution to regional development inquiry recognised
"The Indi way is alive and well in Indi — the idea of engaging in politics, of putting a call out and having it answered, of people taking responsibility for speaking up and for having a say, of democracy in action." Cathy was proud to thank the many people who made submissions to the inquiry.
Leadership features with visits from young people, regional programs
The power of community leadership was evident as Cathy welcomed several groups to Parliament House this week.
- 2018 Student leaders FCJ College Benalla, Sacred Heart College Yarrawonga
- Australian Rural Leadership Foundation
- Fairley Leadership Group
- Rivers and Ranges Community Leadership Program
- Torres Strait Islands Women’s Leadership Program
Newly elected student leaders from FCJ College Benalla and Sacred Heart College Yarrawonga discussed leadership, renewable energy, and mental health
Legislation which has passed the House of Representatives this week
- Crimes Legislation Amendment (Sexual Crimes Against Children and Community Protection Measures) 2017
- Customs Amendment (Singapore-Australia Free Trade Agreement Amendment Implementation) Bill 2017
- Customs Tariff Amendment (Singapore-Australia Free Trade Agreement Amendment Implementation) Bill 2017
- Defence Legislation Amendment (Instrument Making) 2017
- First Home Super Saver Tax 2017
- Foreign Acquisitions and Takeovers Fees Imposition Amendment (Vacancy Fees) 2017
- Industrial Chemicals (Consequential Amendments and Transitional Provisions) 2017
- Industrial Chemicals (Notification and Assessment) Amendment 2017
- Industrial Chemicals 2017
- Industrial Chemicals Charges (Customs) 2017
- Industrial Chemicals Charges (Excise) 2017
- Industrial Chemicals Charges (General) 2017
- Treasury Laws Amendment (2017 Measures No. 6) 2017
- Treasury Laws Amendment (Housing Tax Integrity) 2017
- Treasury Laws Amendment (Reducing Pressure on Housing Affordability Measures No. 1) 2017
Smart Farming Partnerships grants open now
Grants are available for projects to support sustainable practices across agricultural, fishing, aquaculture and farm forestry industries. Applications for the first round of the Smart Farming Partnerships grants program close 21 December 2017. More info here.
Walwa community connections enhance local education
The value of school-community connections in Walwa get a shout out in Bush Voices. Read More.
Have a say on NDIS costs report
The Productivity Commission has released a report into NDIS costs and is seeking information. More information here.
THE WEEK AHEAD
- Friday 20 October: Cathy guest speaker for Independent Scholars Association of Australia; Rutherglen Primary School visit to Parliament House
- Saturday 21 October: Ba’Hai Bicentenary celebration, the Cube, Wodonga, 7pm
- Monday 23 October - Thursday 26 October: Parliament sits
- Wednesday 25 October: Whorouly Primary School to visit Parliament House
- Friday 27 October: Churchill Fellowship National Convention featuring Cathy as guest Speaker and on panel discussion
- Saturday 28 October: Myrtleford Show opening 10.30am, Stanley World War I Memorial Rotunda opening 2.30pm