The Indi Weekly Scoop 21 April 2017
INDI IN THE NEWS
Caption: Cathy helps plan a Lone Pine tree in Rutherglen with Mr Neville Bainbridge, President of the Rutherglen RSL Sub Branch Inc., and Indigo Shire Council Mayor Cr Jenny O'Connor. The ANZAC spirit lives on in Indi. Story below.
State commitment a huge win for North East rail!
The Victorian Premier the Hon Daniel Andrews has committed to work in partnership with the Commonwealth Government on the Melbourne-Wodonga line. This is a huge step towards people in North East rail having access to the passenger rail they deserve.
- Media release: Discussions on track for rail investment
Indi thanked for “enormous contribution” to NBN inquiry
Cathy has thanked businesses, councils and individuals for the enormous contribution they made in submissions to the Joint Standing Committee for the National Broadband Network inquiry into the NBN rollout.
- Media release: Indi NBN hearing a success, action follow
- Telco torture? Watch the ABC program The Checkout for valuable information about dealing with telecommunication providers
Continue the spirit of ANZAC by volunteering in the community
ANZAC day is traditionally a day to remember past sacrifice. That spirit thrives in Indi today in everyday acts of giving and commitment. People can be inspired by the ANZAC example to contribute in many ways.
Upper King Valley forum tackles the big issues
The Upper King Valley Community forum brought local people together to discuss support for young people and a Minister for Youth, renewable energy and the impact of the Adani coal mine, and local issues including European wasps.
Review of Australia’s climate change policies
The Department of Environment and Energy has released a Discussion Paper to take stock of Australia’s progress in reducing emissions. Submissions close at 5pm on 5 May 2017.
- Saturday 22 April: 10am Albury Wodonga Ethnic Council meeting
- Tuesday 25 April: ANZAC Day. Cathy will go to services in Wodonga at 6am and Wangaratta at 11am. Check council websites for local events.
- Wednesday 26 April: Meeting with Alpine Valleys Community Landcare Leadership Group
- 27-28 April: Visit from His Excellency the High Commissioner of Singapore Fook Seng. Tickets here
- 2 May: Assistant Minister for Assistant Minister for Vocational Education and Skills Karen Andrews to visit Indi, hosted by North East Local Learning & Employment Network (NELLEN)