The Indi Weekly Scoop 3 March 2017
Image: Cathy met with Candace Valshing, Senior Policy Advisor for Energy and Climate Change at White House Domestic Policy Council under the Obama Administration, and Bridget McIntosh, Research Principal at the Institute for Sustainable Futures.
INDI IN THE NEWS
Cathy calls rural MPs to account over childcare policy
Cathy has called on all rural and regional Members of Parliament to stand up for farming families’ after the government failed to support her amendments to childcare reforms.
- Video: Rural MPs to answer on failure to support childcare amendments
- Video: Childcare policy needs to support rural and regional women
- Media release: Rural MPs called to account over childcare reforms
- Media release: McGowan vows to continue childcare fight for rural and regional families
- View amendments here
Action on North East passenger rail in Parliament
BREAKING NEWS: The ARTC has released the lease information for the Victorian rail track.
Cathy acted on poor passenger rail services in North East Victoria on Monday, putting trains in the spotlight in Parliament and later meeting with the CEO of the Australian Rail Track Corporation John Fullerton.
- Video: Call in Parliament for immediate federal action on North East Rail
- Media release: North East rail service put under spotlight in Parliament
- Senate Estimates Committee hearing – Cathy supported Senators Derryn Hinch and Janet Rice in questions to ARTC CEO
INDI IN CANBERRA
Centrelink improvements for dairy farmers passed the House of Reps
Cathy welcomed legislation to improve the Farm Household Allowance in Parliament but there is more work to be done to support the industry.
- Video: Dairy industry needs policy to transition from crisis to growth
- Media release: Dairy farmer delegation going to Canberra in March to discuss future of industry
- Cathy’s actions to support the dairy industry (I have to update this page with a link to the timeline)
Launch of the National Rural Press Club
Cathy spoke at the launch of the new National Rural Press Club in Parliament House about the need for government to listen to the voice of rural and regional Australia.
Legislation which passed the House this week
- Social Services Legislation Amendment (Omnibus Savings and Child Care Reform)
- Farm Household Support Amendment
- National Disability Insurance Scheme Savings Fund Special Account
- Treasury Laws Amendment (2017 Measures No. 1)
- Veterans’ Affairs Legislation Amendment (Digital Readiness and Other Measures)
Have your say - modernising Australia’s electricity grid
- The House of Representatives Standing Committee on the Environment and Energy launched an inquiry into modernising Australia’s electricity grid.
Commonwealth Procurement Inquiry
National Aged Care Advocacy Program funding available
As part of the National Aged Care Advocacy Framework the Commonwealth is offering grant funds for eligible organisations to deliver the National Aged Care Advocacy Program. More information.
Churchill fellowship grants applications open
The Churchill Fellowship provides an opportunity to travel internationally to investigate a project, whilst gaining the international expertise to create or affect change for a better Australia. More information.
THE WEEK AHEAD
- Monday 6 March: Speaker at Rotary Club Wangaratta
- Thursday 9 March: International Women’s Day Breakfast with the Women’s Wellness Network in Myrtleford, Citizenship Ceremony in Wodonga
- Friday 10 March: Visit to Wilson Transformers Wodonga, 20 Years of Yack Folk Festival Yackandandah
- Sunday 12 March: Myrtleford Arts Festival, 2017 Victorian ISSF Pistol Championships medal presentation Yacakandandah