The Indi Weekly Scoop 8 December 2017
Posted December 08, 2017
Young women leading in regional communities – Country to Canberra participants met with Cathy in Parliament House this week at the Powerful Women’s Breakfast.
INDI IN THE NEWS
“The Parliament has reflected Australians being our best selves. Marriage equality has passed and a hurdle of discrimination has been removed for the LGBTIQ community and their families.” - Cathy
- Watch Cathy’s speech: “Not ‘they’ or ‘other’ but ‘us’.”
A National Integrity Commission – what will it take?
What would it take for this parliament to establish a National Integrity Commission? Cathy asked the Prime Minister in Question Time.
Deadline 19 December for Building Better Regions Fund Community Stream
Community grants under the Commonwealth Building Better Regions Fund start at $5000, and projects under $20,000 don’t require matching funding.
INDI IN CANBERRA
Mansfield Primary School students praised in Parliament for leadership
Grade six students from Mansfield Primary School are not waiting for tomorrow: “They are leading their community today and we are in good hands”. Watch the speech.
Cathy took the opportunity to thank staff and volunteers.
Legislation which passed the House of Representatives this week:
- Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Amendment Bill 2017
- Marriage Amendment (Definition and Religious Freedoms) Bill 2017
- Treasury Laws Amendment (Reducing Pressure on Housing Affordability Measures No. 1) Bill 2017
Submissions to Regional Forest Agreements close 29 Jan 2018
Have a say on the five-yearly review of the Victorian Regional Forest Agreements (RFAs). Submissions are due on 29 January 2018.
Large Recreational Fishing Grants close 28 Feb 2018
Applications for grants from $5000-$100,000 to improve recreational fishing across Victoria. Small grants up to $5000 are available all year.
- Wodonga: CSU Graduation Ceremony, 9.15 Friday 15 December, Albury Entertainment Centre
- Myrhee: Visit Myrrhee Vietnam Veterans Memorial Monday 18 December
- Mansfield: St Mary’s Primary School speech night
- Hazeldene/Flowerdale: Official launch mobile phone tower Tuesday 19 December
Editor’s note: After an incredibly rewarding 15 months, I am finishing on 13 December as Cathy’s media and communications adviser. Thanks for all the feedback and participation on the Scoop, surveys, the website, social media, and all the great community stories. I’ve valued my part in the Indi story. Signing off on my last Scoop – Jane.