The Indi Weekly Scoop, Friday, 22 June 2018
Posted June 22, 2018
above: Mayors, councillors and CEOs from local councils in Indi visited Canberra this week for the National General Assembly (NGA) of Local Government. Representatives from Benalla, Indigo, Mansfield, Moira, Murrindindi, and Wodonga councils met with Cathy at Parliament House.
INDI IN CANBERRA
Local Government Funding Review needed
Cathy this week called on the Federal Government to take a new approach to funding local government to ensure the long-term sustainability of rural and regional councils.
Students get a taste of Parliament
Students from Catholic College Wodonga (above) were acknowledged by the Minister for Small and Family Business Craig Laundy during Question Time in Parliament House on Thursday. See story below.
Time frame for Cross-Border action
In response to Cathy during Question Time on Thursday, Minister for Family and Small Business, Craig Laundy, made a commitment to a three-month timeline for results of work between the NSW, Victoria and the Commonwealth to overcome cross-border anomalies. See Cathy’s question and the response here.
Volunteers in Canberra were Marg Skermer, Tom Byrne, Donald Ritchie and Michelle Jenkin, with new communications and media advisor, Leah Coles (second from right).
Making the most of their time in the House
Another wonderful group of volunteers joined Cathy in Parliament this week. They attended a number of events and sat in on Question Time, engaging with the Parliamentary process. Another group will be at Cathy’s Canberra office next week.
Cathy supports Refugee Protection Bill 2018
Cathy seconded the Refugee Protection Bill 2018, introduced to Parliament by Andrew Wilkie MP on Monday. Cathy noted the community support in Indi for an alternative to the existing refugee processing system, which protects on-board and keeps people from drowning at sea.
Legislation that passed the house this week
- Australian Astronomical Observatory (Transition) 2018
- Aged Care (Single Quality Framework) Reform Bill 2018
- Appropriation (No. 1) 2018-2019
- Appropriation (No. 2) 2018-2019
- Appropriation (No. 5) 2017-2018
- Appropriation (No. 6) 2017-2018
- Appropriation (Parliamentary Departments) (No. 1) 2018-2019
- Commerce (Trade Descriptions) Amendment 2018
- Corporations (Fees) Amendment (ASIC Fees) 2018
- Health Insurance (Approved Pathology Specimen Collection Centres) Tax Amendment 2018
- Health Legislation Amendment (Improved Medicare Compliance and Other Measures) 2018
- National Consumer Credit Protection (Fees) Amendment (ASIC Fees) 2018
- Social Services Legislation Amendment (Cashless Debit Card Trial Expansion) Bill 2018
- Social Services Legislation Amendment (Payments for Carers) Bill 2018
- Superannuation Auditor Registration Imposition Amendment (ASIC Fees) 2018
- Superannuation Industry (Supervision) Amendment (ASIC Fees) 2018
- Treasury Laws Amendment (2018 Superannuation Measures No. 1) 2018
- Treasury Laws Amendment (Accelerated Depreciation for Small Business Entities) 2018
- Treasury Laws Amendment (Medicare Levy and Medicare Levy Surcharge) 2018
- Veterans’ Affairs Legislation Amendment (Veteran-centric Reforms No. 2) 2018
St Stephens group raises social justice issues
Wodonga’s St Stephens Social Justice Group (pictured above), is an active community group. Members brought Cathy up to date with a range of issues including pay day lending, refugees and mental health.
Grants to support Treaty process engagement
Applications for grants to support Traditional Owner groups and Aboriginal Organisations and business are now open. The program aims to engage with Victorian Aboriginal communities and non-Aboriginal Victorians on key matters relating to the treaty process.
Monday, 25-29 June – Parliament
Answers to last week: Cryptic town, Winton. What am I? Murray to Mountains trail.
Cryptic - what Indi town is this?
Test your INDI knowledge
The Kangaroo Hoppet is
A a Joey hopping into the mother's pouch.
B an Australian hop, skip and jump competition.
C the accused skipping kangaroo court
D a long distance cross country ski race in the World Loppet series. (Since 1991 at Falls Creek)