The Indi Weekly Scoop 13 January 2017
Welcome to 2017! Koala Cherries in Yarck (pictured) are one of Indi’s innovative agribusinesses adding value to their outstanding products. It’s a privilege to be an independent voice in parliament advocating for the needs of local businesses like these and the broader community. The big focus this year will be pushing for a national plan for rural and regional Australia. A plan is needed to help keep businesses like Koala Cherries sustainable into the future. Watch this space! - Cathy
INDI IN THE NEWS
Dairy report release a matter of urgency
Cathy spoke up for dairy farmers in Indi on Radio National on 6 January. Cathy called the government to release the report from Senator Bridget McKenzie’s visit in December about delays in Centrelink processes as a matter of urgency.
- Radio National feature (Cathy’s interview starts at 6:30)
- Cathy’s campaign for dairy farmers
- ACCC dairy enquiry timeline
The public rightly expects the highest standards of effort, judgement and integrity from its elected representatives. Cathy has acknowledged that the Prime Minister has committed to act on the matter and has written to him urging him to do so as a matter of urgency.
- Notice of Motion calling for overhaul of parliamentary entitlements (2016)
- Report: Government enquiry into an Independent Parliamentary Entitlements System (February 2016)
Voting record in Parliament
Cathy’s voting record is available on the website. There is also a video explaining how she makes decisions.
Telecommunications Universal Service Obligation Public inquiry
The Australian Government asked the Productivity Commission to undertake a 12-month inquiry into the future direction of a universal service obligation (USO) in the telecommunications market. Submissions are due by Friday 20 January 2017.
MDBA – local engagement officers information
The Commonwealth Environmental Water Office has six local engagement officers providing outreach to local communities throughout the Basin.
- Victorian officer: Richard Mintern 03 5051 4372. More information about officers here.
THE WEEK AHEAD
- Tuesday: Dairy steering group meeting
- Thursday: Moira Shire Australia Day awards ceremony, Nathalia
- Friday: tour of Mars Petcare Wodonga